+ Meet the Chairs: John Connolly and Sarah Kenny
John is a 3rd year from Wilmington, Delaware, and is majoring in History and the Politics Honors program. He is passionate about connecting UVA students with public service opportunities on grounds, in the Charlottesville area, and beyond. Outside of Studco, he is involved in Alternative Spring Break, Madison House, and is a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity.
Sarah Kenny is a second year from Vienna, Virginia, and is planning to major in Public Policy. She has been involved with Madison House, Day in the Life, First Year Council, and is presently a member of Alpha Phi Fraternity and the Young Women Leaders Program along with Studco. She looks forward to engaging with students, community partners and administrators to cultivate a more collaborative service community in the coming year.
The Public Service Committee aims to promote an active civic life at the University of Virginia. Public service exists in many forms, and the committee hopes to provide opportunities for incoming and current students to learn about and connect to the many venues of public service. In addition, the committee hopes to create spaces for the critical exploration of public service within the University community, Charlottesville and beyond.
Recent News & Updates: [catlist name=public-service]
Current Committee initiatives include:
- Helping Publicize EngageUVA: sent to thousands of students every week, with the upcoming week’s lectures, events and opportunities related to public service at UVA and within the Charlottesville community. Email email@example.com to join the list serve or sign up online here! The newsletter now goes out to over 2,500 people (students, faculty, staff, and community members)!
- Student Council’s Public Service Spotlight: Read about selfless students in the Cavalier Daily! The Public Service Spotlight recognizes outstanding students for their commitment to actively engaging others in the community and for bettering the University community and beyond. Know someone who deserves to be spotlighted? Nominate them here! Spotlight articles run every Monday in the Cavalier Daily. Check out all of the spotlights here.
- The Learning in Action public service website – our website is the hub for public service opportunities at the University. This website is the place to find out more about existing organizations on grounds and in the community, events, public service classes, and much more. If you’re a public service organization that wants to advertise for an event you’re having, submit your event here and the site will post it! Send us ideas for the site and suggestions for websites we link to our site, by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Past initiatives include:
- OrganizedService Fest in the fall (of 2010, 800 students came out!, and 2011) to bring together all public service student organizations to meet and share opportunities with all interested students.
- Different Paths to Public Service Panel: This was held in Jefferson Hall, on Wednesday October 27th, 2010 at 5:00 PM to inform students about more ways to get involved in Public Service. Six students spoke of their experiences in the public service framework, within UVa and the community and we discussed what public service means to students, and how we can actively integrate public service within the classroom.There was a potluck-style reception afterwards.
- Hosted a Greek Philanthropy Dinner in the Colonnade Club on February 23, 2010 from 6-8pm.
- Hosted a CIO Meet and Greet on October 5, 2011 from 5pm-6pm in the Commonwealth Room of Newcomb Hall. We met with various public service organizations on grounds to have an open discussion about ways the Public Service Committee can help advertise events, and suggestions for successful events and ways to get students involved in their organizations mission.