+ Meet the Chairs: Natalie May and Nina Lukow
Natalie is a second year Arts Administration and Music double major from Nashville, TN. As a long-time lover of the arts, she is proud to serve on a committee that strives to support the vibrant artistic culture of UVa, and is excited to dive into our exciting list of initiatives in the coming year. When she’s not with the Student Arts Committee, you’ll find Natalie with First Year Players, University Singers, College Arts Scholars, or possibly with a container of hummus and pita chips.
Nina Lukow is a third-year English major from Culpeper, Virginia. Her first love was theater, but she has become enthusiastic and supportive of all the arts during her time at U.Va. Her main interests focus on the power of storytelling, the role of art in community-building, and arts in education. Outside of Council, Nina can be found working with student theater, reading English major-y things on the Lawn, and cooking quite badly. This year, she is excited for all of the wonderful initiatives of the committee, including Clemons Art Gallery, Arts Grounds Tours, and SAF.
The Student Arts Committee is the committee within Student Council responsible for addressing the needs of the student arts community, broadening access to the arts, and using the arts to improve the quality of the educational and student experience. It’s mission is to enrich the educational and cultural experience at The University of Virginia through promotion of and exposure to the arts, improved access to cultural events, increased presence of creative endeavors around Grounds, representation and support of student artists and art lovers, and using art to create a positive difference in the greater community.
Recent News & Updates:
- Who We Are & What We Do
- New Year, New 2014 Arts Fellows!
- Extended! Student Art Fund + Clemons Art Gallery Applications!
- Need funding for your art project? Apply to the Student Arts Fund!
- WANTED: Artists – Clemons Art Gallery: Call for Submissions
- Apply to be an Arts Advocate!
- UVA Arts Madness 2013: March 22 – 30
Upcoming Events: [show-ics-events cal=13]
This year’s committee initiatives include:
- Arts Madness – An annual March arts festival that aims to promote awareness of the arts, both as an academic pursuit and an extracurricular passion at the University of Virginia. Through a combination of performances, screenings, workshops, lectures, exhibitions, and general merrymaking this festival seeks to engage every University student in at least one arts event.
- Student Arts Fund (formerly known as ISAPF): An Arts Fellows program that awards grants to promote student involvement and achievement in the arts by funding independent creative work in the fields of visual and performing arts. Download the application on the Student Council’s homepage. Deadline 11/19/14. Questions? Email mdf4eg and rmg4ry!
- Arts Advocates Program: A student in each first and second-year dorm areas is chosen to advocate and celebrate the arts in their living environment via face-to-face interaction, program coordination, flyering, e-mailing, and simply being passionate about the arts.
- Clemons Art Gallery – A student created, run, and curated exhibition space inside Clemons Library. This yearlong, rotating exhibition sees over 200,000 views a semester! All mediums of art are welcome, including film, poetry, performance art, as well as photography, painting, drawing, and more!
- Arts Network Night – Join us on November 4th, 2014 for our second arts resource night. This event celebrates the vibrancy of the arts community, encourages interdisciplinary arts conversation, presents opportunities and resources for grants, careers, and Charlottesville involvement, and gives students an opportunity to air their grievances and make suggestions.
- Arts Tips Tours – A partnership with the University Guide Service to educate and inform Guides about arts resources and opportunities available to prospective students, as well as to introduce them to the buildings on arts grounds.
- Clemons Library Mural – An anticipated Spring 2013 partnership with the Art Student Society to create a permanent mural for Clemons Library.
- Arts Critics – An anticipated Spring 2013 partnership with The Cavalier Daily to encourage arts criticism, develop student critic skills, and promote awareness of the arts to the wider University community.
- Virginia Players Receptions – A partnership with UVA Dining and the Virginia Players to present Opening Night show receptions. These after-show events stimulate conversation, fellowship, and celebrate the hard work of the UVA Drama Mainstage productions.
In the spirit of arts advocacy, the Arts Committee offers the following suggestions to maximize your OWN arts experience on-grounds:
1. Visit the newly revamped arts website! http://www.virginia.edu/arts/
2. Sign up for the free, weekly “Arts News” e-mail to get an idea of all the wonderful events going on around UVa . It’s fast AND easy!
3. Did you know that you get a free ticket to most UVa music and drama performances? Simply reserve a ticket through the arts box office by midnight the day before by calling (434) 924-3376 or registering online at http://artsandsciences.virginia.edu/boxoffice/.
4. All UVa students have a FREE MEMBERSHIP to the University Art Museum. Located on Rugby Road across from Mad Bowl, there is always something new to see. Also, mark your calendars for the last Friday of every month for the museum’s “Final Fridays” celebration, featuring refreshments for everyone and a free drink for those over 21. Visit, and you’ll never look at Rugby the same way again.
5. Speak up: Have concerns or want answers? Make your voice known. If there’s something you want changed, we can help you talk to the administration. Just email us to get started!