Public Service Committee
Warren Resnick is a fourth year student in the Comm School concentrating in Accounting and/or Finance. He comes from the suburbs of Philadelphia and obnoxiously cheers for all Philly sports teams. Warren is also a site coordinator for Madison House’s C.A.S.H program and a member of the Club Golf team at UVa. As co-chair of the committee, he hopes to develop a university-wide commitment to public service in addition to informing students of available service opportunities.
Carly Spraggins is a Third year from Richmond, VA majoring in Government and Media Studies in the College of Arts & Sciences. As a co-chair of Public Service this year, she is excited to improve connections between students and community leaders as well as expand service-learning opportunities in the classroom and beyond. Outside of Council, Carly is an active member of the University Guide Service, works at the Rotunda, and serves as a program director for Madison House Tutoring. She also enjoys drinking Dunkin Donuts coffee obsessively, watching too much TV, and traveling as often as possible.
Government + Media Studies ’15
The Public Service Committee aims to promote an active civic life at the University of Virginia. Public service exists in many forms, and the committee hopes to provide opportunities for incoming and current students to learn about and connect to the many venues of public service. In addition, the committee hopes to create spaces for the critical exploration of public service within the University community, Charlottesville and beyond.
|Marissa Bialek||Learning in Action Liaison|
|Fallon Farmer||Community Outreach|
|Callie Jacobs||Community Outreach|
|Matt Latimer||Service Spotlight Writer|
|Erin Turley||Community Outreach|
|Rebecca Kim||Service Spotlight Writer|
|Carly Buckholz||Learning in Action Liaison|
|Faith Lyons||Marketing & Communications|
Recent News & Updates:
- Public Service Spotlight: Katy Hutto
- Public Service Spotlight: Kylene Daily
- Public Service Spotlight: Wilson Hammett and Kaye Lee Thomas
- Public Service Spotlight: Allie Griswold
- Public Service Spotlight: Christine Pajewski
Current Committee initiatives include:
- Helping Publicize EngageUVA: sent to thousands of students every week, with the upcoming week’s lectures, events and opportunities related to public service at UVA and within the Charlottesville community. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join the list serve or sign up online here! The newsletter now goes out to over 2,500 people (students, faculty, staff, and community members)!
- Student Council’s Public Service Spotlight: Read about selfless students in the Cavalier Daily! The Public Service Spotlight recognizes outstanding students for their commitment to actively engaging others in the community and for bettering the University community and beyond. Know someone who deserves to be spotlighted? Nominate them here! Spotlight articles run every Monday in the Cavalier Daily. Check out all of the spotlights here.
- The Learning in Action public service website – our website is the hub for public service opportunities at the University. This website is the place to find out more about existing organizations on grounds and in the community, events, public service classes, and much more. If you’re a public service organization that wants to advertise for an event you’re having, submit your event here and the site will post it! Send us ideas for the site and suggestions for websites we link to our site, by contacting us at email@example.com.
Past initiatives include:
- OrganizedService Fest in the fall (of 2010, 800 students came out!, and 2011) to bring together all public service student organizations to meet and share opportunities with all interested students.
- Different Paths to Public Service Panel: This was held in Jefferson Hall, on Wednesday October 27th, 2010 at 5:00 PM to inform students about more ways to get involved in Public Service. Six students spoke of their experiences in the public service framework, within UVa and the community and we discussed what public service means to students, and how we can actively integrate public service within the classroom.There was a potluck-style reception afterwards.
- Hosted a Greek Philanthropy Dinner in the Colonnade Club on February 23, 2010 from 6-8pm.
- Hosted a CIO Meet and Greet on October 5, 2011 from 5pm-6pm in the Commonwealth Room of Newcomb Hall. We met with various public service organizations on grounds to have an open discussion about ways the Public Service Committee can help advertise events, and suggestions for successful events and ways to get students involved in their organizations mission.