+ Meet the Chairs: John Connolly and Sarah Kenny
I am a student from Vienna, Virginia in the College of Arts and Sciences hoping to major in Public Policy. In my first year at UVA, I have been involved with Madison House through the Latino and Migrant Aid Program, the Curry School’s Day in the Life program through volunteering in an after school program with students at Venable Elementary, I have served as a First Year Council Representative on the Community Service Committee, and I have served as an elected member of Student Council’s Public Service Committee. I’m passionate about music, spending time outdoors, being active, meeting new people and exploring Charlottesville with friends!
The Public Service Committee aims to promote an active civic life at the University of Virginia. Public service exists in many forms, and the committee hopes to provide opportunities for incoming and current students to learn about and connect to the many venues of public service. In addition, the committee hopes to create spaces for the critical exploration of public service within the University community, Charlottesville and beyond.
|Beki San Martinemail@example.com|
Recent News & Updates:
- Learning In Action Contest Winner
- Who We Are & What We Do
- Public Service Spotlight: Elizabeth Bickley
- Public Service Spotlight: Madeline Kotoriy
- Public Service Spotlight: Katy Hutto
- Public Service Spotlight: Kylene Daily
- Public Service Spotlight: Wilson Hammett and Kaye Lee Thomas
Current Committee initiatives include:
- Helping Publicize EngageUVA: sent to thousands of students every week, with the upcoming week’s lectures, events and opportunities related to public service at UVA and within the Charlottesville community. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join the list serve or sign up online here! The newsletter now goes out to over 2,500 people (students, faculty, staff, and community members)!
- Student Council’s Public Service Spotlight: Read about selfless students in the Cavalier Daily! The Public Service Spotlight recognizes outstanding students for their commitment to actively engaging others in the community and for bettering the University community and beyond. Know someone who deserves to be spotlighted? Nominate them here! Spotlight articles run every Monday in the Cavalier Daily. Check out all of the spotlights here.
- The Learning in Action public service website – our website is the hub for public service opportunities at the University. This website is the place to find out more about existing organizations on grounds and in the community, events, public service classes, and much more. If you’re a public service organization that wants to advertise for an event you’re having, submit your event here and the site will post it! Send us ideas for the site and suggestions for websites we link to our site, by contacting us at email@example.com.
Past initiatives include:
- OrganizedService Fest in the fall (of 2010, 800 students came out!, and 2011) to bring together all public service student organizations to meet and share opportunities with all interested students.
- Different Paths to Public Service Panel: This was held in Jefferson Hall, on Wednesday October 27th, 2010 at 5:00 PM to inform students about more ways to get involved in Public Service. Six students spoke of their experiences in the public service framework, within UVa and the community and we discussed what public service means to students, and how we can actively integrate public service within the classroom.There was a potluck-style reception afterwards.
- Hosted a Greek Philanthropy Dinner in the Colonnade Club on February 23, 2010 from 6-8pm.
- Hosted a CIO Meet and Greet on October 5, 2011 from 5pm-6pm in the Commonwealth Room of Newcomb Hall. We met with various public service organizations on grounds to have an open discussion about ways the Public Service Committee can help advertise events, and suggestions for successful events and ways to get students involved in their organizations mission.