The Sustainability Committee is responsible for advising the Council regarding environmental issues affecting the University, as well as the sustainability of the University’s environmental practices.
- Interested in studying sustainability? Check out the new interdisciplinary Global Sustainability Minor, offered through the School of Architecture!
- There are so many ways to get involved with sustainability at U.Va.! Check out sustainaunity.wordpress.com for details!
- Check out these lists of Sustainable CIO groups and Sustainability-minded Faculty and Staff!
- Spotlight on…Ride Forward at U.Va.! Ride Forward is a research and design group focusing on sustainable transportation. Current projects include the conversion of conventional vehicles to electric drive (EVs), the construction of advanced solar powered EVs and charging stations, and the design of vegetable oil-powered cars. Check out the group’s website (linked above) to learn how you can get involved!
Meet the Chairs: Holly Mayton + Jon Torre
Hello! I’m a rising fourth year from Virginia Beach, but I am absolutely in love with Charlottesville. I am involved in Virginia Rowing, the UVA Community Garden, Engineering Students Without Borders, 2014 Trustees, and 350 UVA. After three years of being involved in a lot of different initiatives to enhance sustainability at UVA, I’m really excited to lead the Sustainability committee this year. I hope that we can make sustainability more visible and engaging on grounds, and affect change that will have lasting impacts on the University. Please feel to free to email me about anything sustainability-related!
Chemical Engineering ’14
I’m definitely a guy with an eclectic mix of interests, sustainability principal among them. I’m a fourth year chemistry major that likes to hang out outside, mountain bike, and go fishing. This year I want to make the idea and institution of “sustainability” a big deal at UVA. I want it to be something people talk and care about.
Recent News & Updates:
- Try Just None!
- Zero Waste: Classy, not Trashy
- Hoos Environment is it Anyways?
- Student Research Oppurunities & Campus Sustaiability Dialogue
- Dinosaur Spotted In Charlottesville
- Double Impact
Past and Ongoing Committee initiatives include:
- Green Initiative Funding Tomorrow (GIFT) – supporting the creation of a green fee at U.Va. to grant funds to students, faculty, and staff who want to pursue sustainability-related projects
- Film and Speaker Series
- Sustainability Business Consultants – working to make local businesses more efficient and sustainable
- Farmers’ Market with UPC
- Track-Your-Trash Challenge Week
- University of Virginia Community Garden: introduced this past term, the Environmental Sustainability committee has been working to advocate for and accomplish the establishment of a community garden on Grounds. You can also check out the garden blog for information about workdays and events throughout the Spring 2011 semester.
- Trayless Dining: a project that removed trays from the University dining halls to limit the amount of water wasted in tray cleaning.
- Off-Grounds Recycling: an initiative geared to provide recycling options for students living off-Grounds.
- Earth Week: enjoy last year’s promotional video: