The Sustainability Committee is responsible for coordinating between sustainability-minded CIOs, advising the Council and administration on all aspects of sustainability, and
Where is the Sustainability Committee this summer?
Upcoming Initiatives for 2014-2015
- UVA-Charlottesville Bikeshare
- Increased Collaboration with Charlottesville Sustainability Groups
- Increased composting awareness
- Socially responsible investment
- Uniform recycle bins and signage
- Sustainability measures in first year dorms
- Outreach to the Greek community
- Movie screenings
- Partnership with UVA’s College at Wise
2013-2014 Student Council Sustainability Initiatives:
- Earth Week 2014
- Zero Waste StudCo
- Zero Waste Pancakes for Parkinson’s and Cavalier Cookout
- Paperless Basketball Tickets
- Litterati Campaign
- GIFT Grant
- National and Virginia Powershift Conferences
- Partnership with the UVA Community Garden
- Green CIO Survey
- Do the Math Movie Screening and Panel Discussion
Recent News & Updates:
- Environmental Stewardship Annual Report
- Sustainable Summers All Around
- Try Just None!
- Zero Waste: Classy, not Trashy
- Hoos Environment is it Anyways?
+ Meet the Chairs: Rebecca Walker and Lia Cattaneo
My name is Rebecca Walker and I am a fourth year from Deltaville, VA, double majoring in Environmental Sciences and Anthropology. I have been involved with the Student Council’s Sustainability Committee since my first semester at UVa and am really excited to continue the growth and momentum I have seen in this committee over the last three years. I see the Sustainability Committee as a way to bridge the goals for sustainability at UVa with the needs of the student body and am dedicated to finding creative ways of integrating more sustainable practices into student life. In my free time, I love getting outdoors and enjoy hiking, running, and playing croquet. In addition to Student Council, I am involved with College Council, Crafting for Conservation, and Honor.
My name is Lia Cattaneo and I am a Third Year from Falls Church, VA, double majoring in Civil Engineering and Environmental Sciences. As co-chair of the Sustainability Committee, I am excited to bring together the sustainability community on Grounds, engage “non-traditionally green” CIOs, and make sustainability a pervasive institutional value. I also look forward to working with other schools across the state and the nation to make even bigger changes. Outside of sustainability work, I’m involved in Madison House, Hillel, and Club Figure Skating, and I just love hanging out with friends!
Wider Sustainability Community at UVa:
- Interested in studying sustainability? Check out the new interdisciplinary Global Sustainability Minor, offered through the School of Architecture!
- There are so many ways to get involved with sustainability at U.Va.! Check out sustainaunity.wordpress.com for details!
- Check out these lists of Sustainable CIO groups and Sustainability-minded Faculty and Staff!
- Spotlight on…Ride Forward at U.Va.! Ride Forward is a research and design group focusing on sustainable transportation. Current projects include the conversion of conventional vehicles to electric drive (EVs), the construction of advanced solar powered EVs and charging stations, and the design of vegetable oil-powered cars. Check out the group’s website (linked above) to learn how you can get involved!
Past Committee initiatives include:
- Green Initiative Funding Tomorrow (GIFT) – supporting the creation of a green fee at U.Va. to grant funds to students, faculty, and staff who want to pursue sustainability-related projects
- Film and Speaker Series
- Sustainability Business Consultants – working to make local businesses more efficient and sustainable
- Farmers’ Market with UPC
- Track-Your-Trash Challenge Week
- Trayless Dining: a project that removed trays from the University dining halls to limit the amount of water wasted in tray cleaning.
- Earth Week: enjoy last year’s promotional video: