The Sustainability Committee strives to protect and improve the rights, opportunities, and quality of life for the University community through sustainability. We coordinate within and between the student body, sustainably-minded CIOs, the Office of Sustainability, and student government at UVA.
Where was the Sustainability Committee this summer?
- Game Day Challenge
- Sustainability Forum
- Biophilic Campus Project
- College at Wise Outreach
- Improved styrofoam collection and recycling
- RA Training
- FOA for Fraternities and Sororities (sustainability “curriculum” for fraternities and sororities)
- EnergizeUVA (a whole month of sustainability events!)
- College Curriculum Review
- Zero Waste Pancakes for Parkinson’s
- We just finished updating our list of student sustainability groups!
- Expanding hand dryers
- Reducing the amount of time it takes for the computer screens in libraries to go to black
- Student-friendly guide to energy at UVA
- Sustainability graphics
- Greening Corner businesses
2013-2014 Student Council Sustainability Initiatives:
- Earth Week 2014
- Zero Waste StudCo
- Zero Waste Pancakes for Parkinson’s and Cavalier Cookout
- Paperless Basketball Tickets
- Litterati Campaign
- GIFT Grant
- National and Virginia Powershift Conferences
- Partnership with the UVA Community Garden
- Green CIO Survey
- Do the Math Movie Screening and Panel Discussion
Recent News & Updates:
- Energy Saving Computers!
- Disruption: Join Sustainability for an evening of climate discussion
- Who We Are & What We Do
- Environmental Stewardship Annual Report
- Sustainable Summers All Around
- Try Just None!
+ Meet the Chairs: Rebecca Walker and Lia Cattaneo
I am a cycling fanatic, lover of sustainability, and all-around adventure-seeker. I have been on Student Council for around a year now, and get the most satisfaction when working with a team and seeing a project come to fruition. If ever a quirky, far-fetched sustainability idea comes to mind, I would love to hear it!
Lia is a fourth year from Falls Church, VA, double majoring in Civil Engineering and Environmental Sciences. As co-chair of the Sustainability Committee, she is excited to bring together the sustainability community on Grounds, to engage “non-traditionally green” CIOs, and to make sustainability an institutional value. Lia also looks forward to expanding the Committee’s work on Grounds by working with the City of Charlottesville and with other schools across the state. Outside of Student Council, Lia is a co-founder of the Climate Action Society, she serves on the Board of Directors of Madison House, she is the president of the Club Figure Skating Team, and she is active in academic research.
Wider Sustainability Community at UVa:
- Interested in studying sustainability? Check out the new interdisciplinary Global Sustainability Minor, offered through the School of Architecture!
- There are so many ways to get involved with sustainability at U.Va.! Check out sustainaunity.wordpress.com for details!
- Check out these lists of Sustainable CIO groups and Sustainability-minded Faculty and Staff!
- Spotlight on…Ride Forward at U.Va.! Ride Forward is a research and design group focusing on sustainable transportation. Current projects include the conversion of conventional vehicles to electric drive (EVs), the construction of advanced solar powered EVs and charging stations, and the design of vegetable oil-powered cars. Check out the group’s website (linked above) to learn how you can get involved!
Past Committee initiatives include:
- Green Initiative Funding Tomorrow (GIFT) – supporting the creation of a green fee at U.Va. to grant funds to students, faculty, and staff who want to pursue sustainability-related projects
- Film and Speaker Series
- Sustainability Business Consultants – working to make local businesses more efficient and sustainable
- Farmers’ Market with UPC
- Track-Your-Trash Challenge Week
- Trayless Dining: a project that removed trays from the University dining halls to limit the amount of water wasted in tray cleaning.
- Earth Week: enjoy last year’s promotional video: