Mobile ARC is currently not supported. If you are browsing with a non-mobile browser, please resize your window

Student Council ARC

Can't find what you're looking for? Chat With Us.

Academic Lingo

Academic life at UVA well steeped in history and tradition, and like everything else at UVA, it has a bit of it’s own language. The following is a short list of some University vocabulary that you may find useful.

The College
Formally, the College of Arts and Sciences (or CLAS). The College represents the largest number of UVA undergraduates and includes the graduate studies as well. The College features a broad variety of majors ranging from English to Chemistry to Politics and everything in between.
The E-School
Formally, the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. The E-School features both undergraduate and graduate studies, and most of it’s classrooms and offices are located between Scott Stadium and McCormick Road, along Engineer’s Way.
The A-School
Formally, the School of Architecture. The A-School includes both graduate and undergraduate studies and is primarily located along Rugby Road, near the Rotunda.
The Comm School
Formally, the McIntire School of Commerce. Located near Central Grounds, McIntire is sometimes referred to as UVA’s undergraduate business school, but also offers a number of masters and non-degree programs.
Formally, the Curry School of Education. The Curry School features both undergraduate and graduate programs with areas of study such as Teacher Education, Kinesiology, Education Policy, and much more.
First Year, Second Year, Third Year, Fourth Year
Instead of freshman, sophomore, junior, senior. Why? To be a “senior” implies that a person has reached the final phase of learning, a feat that Mr. Jefferson believed impossible, arguing instead that education is a life-long process.
The term used by students, faculty and alumni to refer to the University. “Campus” is never used.
Mr. Jefferson
Out of respect for the founder of the University who did not have a Ph.D., University faculty are referred to as Mr. or Mrs. instead of Doctor, even if they have a Ph.D. Students and faculty historically addressed each other in this manner. Medical doctors are the exception to the rule and they should be referred to as Doctor.
Is this information incorrect or out of date? Tell Us.

This information was last updated on Tuesday, August 20th, 2013