The Legislative Affairs Committee shall be responsible for encouraging student participation in the political process and representing the interests of University students, as approved by the Representative Body, in the federal, state, and local government.
- Coordinating UVA’s students political organizations (like the University Democrats and College Republicans) alongside administrative bodies (like the Center for Politics and the Batten School for Public Policy) to get out the vote
- Maintaining the UVAVotes.com website
- Regular visiting the Virginia General Assembly in Richmond to meet with state delegates, senators, and staff
- Annual trip to the U.S. Capital in Washington, D.C. to meet with U.S. Congressman, Senators, staff, and lobbyists
- Representing student concerns to legislators and political decision-makers at the local, statewide, and national level
- Organizing events such as Presidential Surrogate Debates, Election Night Viewing Parties, and Debate Watching Parties for the student body to increase political awareness