StudCo News is a bi-monthly newsletter that goes out to the U.Va. community, intended to serve as a comprehensive resource for discovering opportunities, programs, events, and services around Grounds.
Here’s a brief summary of everything in this message; you can find more info about each event in the paragraphs that follow.:
- Gray-Carrington seeking nominations, the scholarship is considered to be the highest honor an undergraduate student can receive.
- Veteran’s Day Ceremony, watch the 24-hour match of ROTC students on the North Steps of the Rotunda starting Nov. 12 at 3:30PM
- Pathways to Entrepreneurship, StudCo is teaming up with Darden for the 2012 Darden Entrepreneurship Conference on November 8-9.
- UVAirbus, need a way to get to the airport for Thanksgiving Break? UVa Student Council can help.
- 21st Annual 4th Year 5k Run/Walk, Benefiting the Leslie Baltz Foundation, one of the 113 things do to before you graduate.
- Put a face to StudCo, come chat with a Representative at 4PM every weekday in Newcomb 164 to raise a concern, ask a question, or just to find out more about what we do!
- SpeakUpUVa, A service offered by Student Council enabling students to voice their concerns or ideas about life around Grounds.
Each year at this time, the Gray-Carrington Committee seeks nominations from the University community for its memorial scholarship, named in honor of two former students, Arthur Powell “Pete” Gray, IV and Edward Carrington Jr. The scholarship is considered to be the highest honor an undergraduate student rising into his or her year of graduation can receive. The scholarship is awarded to students who exhibit those traits that defined Gray and Carrington, including Personal Integrity, Achievement, Leadership
, and Humility
. Please submit your letters of nomination detailing how the individual you have in mind best exemplifies these characteristics. Nominations can be dropped off at 41 West Lawn, submitted to email@example.com
, or by filling in this form
. You may nominate any undergraduate rising into his or her year of graduation at the University. Letters of nomination must be received no later than 5:00 P.M. on Tuesday, November 20, 2012.
Join Navy, Army and Air Force ROTC in their annual POW/MIA Vigil and Veteran’s Day Ceremony. From 3:30 pm on 12 November until 3:30 pm on 13 November, cadets and midshipmen will be marching 30 minute shifts for 24 hours on the North Rotunda steps in remembrance of POW/MIA. This vigil will conclude with the start of the Veteran’s Day Ceremony, with key note speaker Colonel Bryan Cannady. The ceremony will include a 21 gun salute and playing of Taps. All students and faculty are invited and encouraged to attend. If you have any questions, please contact Amber Fauber at firstname.lastname@example.org
StudCo is teaming up with the Batten Institute, UVA Innovations, and other organizations to co-sponsor the 2012 Darden Entrepreneurship Conference: Pathways to Entrepreneurship, happening on Nov 8 and 9 at Darden. Details and registration for the conference can be found here
. Registration for students is free.
UVAirbus, a cheaper way to get home. Fall Break was a success, however we are always looking for more riders. Thanksgiving break tickets are currently available online or in the PAC. Follow this link
to access more information.
The Fourth Year 5K will be held on November 10th at 8AM at Nameless Field. The race is in memory of Leslie Baltz, a fourth year student who died after a day of heavy drinking on the day of the last home football game. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Leslie Baltz Foundation. The Fourth Year 5K is on the list of 113 Things to Do Before You Graduate, and is open to ALL years and community members. Find out more info here.
Thanks so much for reading, and remember to SpeakUp
. Want to see your information included? We co-sponsor! Contact Eric McDaniel at email@example.com
for more information.
The U.Va. Student Council President, Executive Board, Representatives, and Presidential & Special Committee Chairs