5. The new GIFT Committee: Thanks to the work of several current and former Student Council members, the Green Initiative Funding Tomorrow (GIFT) Grant Allocation Committee was formed this fall to provide funding for student-initiated projects concerning sustainability at UVa. Although the magnolias may be coming down, GIFT is funding solar panels for the roof of the Rotunda to maintain TJ’s sustainable spirit. Just kidding. But really, the GIFT committee is working hard to allocate thousands of dollars to students with sustainable initiatives in mind!
4. The Sustainability Business Consultants: SBC is a StudCo task force dedicated to working with the businesses students interact with most to help them achieve their sustainability goals. This year, SBC has teamed up with the Charlottesville Better Business Challenge to work with over 100 Charlottesville businesses dedicated to sustainability! The experience has been very rewarding and significant progress is being made! Who knew sustainability could be so $weet?
3. The Homecomings Tradition will continue to return: Homecomings this year was an amazing experience. StudCo wants to make sure that it only gets better in the future. We’ve teamed up with several other organizations to form a new Homecomings Council! This organization will be solely dedicated to the week of Homecomings and will start working next semester! If you are interested in applying, please visit the StudCo website next semester to find applications.
2. SpeakUpUVA: As a representative, it has been my pleasure to monitor the SpeakUpUVA site and listen to the concerns of students. Although StudCo cannot address every issue at a moments notice, the website has proved invaluable in hearing the voice of the students. Over the course of the semester I’ve responded to and acted upon ideas concerning bike lanes, South Lawn after hours, Thanksgiving break, bike racks, mail, scooter parking, building lighting after hours, bus schedules, and UVa construction projects. Please keep the casting your votes and sharing your ideas!
1. Electronic Mail: One of the most popular ideas on SpeakUpUVA this past semester was the purchase of an electronic station for 24-hour mail services. This station would be capable of weighing packages, printing postage, and collecting outgoing mail for daily pick-up. It is my goal over winter break to make this happen. All students can benefit from a station like this. You will hear more from me next semester!